Friday, November 12, 2010

What I'm Reading, Stocking your Kitchen and Busy Weekend

My most recent book. I know I'm behind, but working, going to school, having a bf, two dogs and a niece plus trying to have a life. I just don't have the time. Plain and simple :/ I'm in chapter 4. Started off slow, but it's really picking up.Maybe I'll finish it next week.

I'm combining a few subjects, forgive me now. At least I'm posting!

Last night, I had a small little bake-a-thon. I made the lovely
banana muffins

&

pumpkin cheesecake.
Also, my pot roast was quite good.

Anyways, while I was baking the cheesecake I ran out of 2 main ingredients (vanilla extract and sour cream) that are essentials in a baker's kitchen. So I decided to share with you all what the essentials of a baker's kitchen should be (according to me).
  • Flour (50 lb. bag in my kitchen, thank you Costco!)
  • Eggs (no less than 2 dzn)
  • Sugar (or appropriate sugar substitute you know how to use)
  • Milk (any variation 2%, whole, soy, etc)
  • Lemon Juice (used to make buttermilk and used as an acid)
  • Sour Cream (another acid and used for moistness)
  • Cream Cheese (I add to anything from breads to mashed potatoes)
  • Vanilla Extract (Good quality, not to be skimped)
  • Brown Sugar 
  • Almond Extract (I use in a pinch instead of Vanilla)
  • Cooking Spray
  • Baking Powder 
  • Baking Soda 
  • Salt 
I can probably make about 75% of my standard recipes from the above ingredients. With the holidays coming up I thought this would be a good reference guide for all you bakers out there :)

This weekend, the girls and I are celebrating my 24th birthday! It's not for 2 more weeks, but this is the only weekend this month that works for everyone's schedule. We're having my infamous skittles vodka and pudding shots. Pictures to come on Monday.



Book Blogger Hop
"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"


I have to start with Book 1. I have to know everything I can about the characters and don't want to miss anything or be lost. I hate starting something in the middle.




BoostMyBlogFriday




5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm stopping by for the Blog Hop and Follow Friday. I hope you have a great weekend. Happy Reading!

    I'm an new follower.

    Danielle @ Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have found you via the Hop and FF. I'm your newest follower!

    I'm like you - I HAVE to start with Book 1. I miss too much otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-blogger-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Just hoppin' on by. <3 I'm a new follower! :D

    Kristina @ Frazzled Book Nommer. Have a good weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete