Thursday, December 30, 2010

Breaded Pork Chops

Pork chops are a standby at my house at least once per week. I get a good deal at them at Costco, come home, package those 1 1/2-2" thick boneless chops 2/bag, and freeze. After much complaining from the bf, I started cutting them in half so we would get 4 3/4-1" thick chops. I'm constantly trying new recipes to find what we like. This one fell a little short, but was still worth a post! Once again, I took a recipe and changed it to what I thought would make it better :)

The original recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups crushed saltine crackers
  • 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Italian-style seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 6 pork chops

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the crushed saltines, Parmesan cheese, Italian-style seasoning and garlic powder and mix together well.
  3. Dip the chops in the melted butter and then dredge each chop in the cracker mixture, coating all sides thoroughly. Place the chops in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  4. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until internal pork temperature reaches 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). 

**I cut the recipe by 1/2, but had 4 pork chops. After coating the chops, I pan-fried the chops 3 minutes per side to brown coating. I cut cooking time down to 25 minutes.**

My review: Pan-frying added the crunch I was looking for, but the flavor was still a little dry. The original recipe called for too much cracker. I served pork chops with mixed veggies and garlic toast (not pictured).





Obviously MARvelous

4 comments:

  1. I make my pork chops in a similar fashion except I use whatever is on hand - could be a cornflake type of cereal or tortilla chips. I also stick mine in the oven. It does come out drier than a pan-fried version but that can be remedied with a pat of melted butter, divided, drizzled over the bunch. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! sounds good. i only recently added pork chops to my repertoire, so this sounds good. i hardly bread anything, so this could be a nice change from just a marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to be following you now, I have a new blog! Hope you check it out! (following you as The Pilot's Wife)

    Elvis, The Chihuahua
    Follow My Blog at: Elvis The Chihuahua
    Follow me on: Twitter
    Like me on: Facebook

    ReplyDelete