Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Book Review: Crank by Ellen Hopkins

**No Spoilers**
I had read a few book reviews on this particular novel and even though it was a young adult book, I figured I would give it a go. After a long day at work yesterday, I made my way to our local library. I am lucky to live within a 5 mile radius of 4 libraries, but of course I went to the furthest (and nicest in my opinion) one.
I had never been to the YA section and it's upstairs in a corner and had some weird neon lights and beanbags. I think they decorated it to get more immature adults teenagers to read. Anyways, when I picked it up I was surprised to find out it was a pretty thick book and looked intimidating. I peeked inside and noticed the words were jumbled around and set up funny. If you read or have read this book, you will understand.
I started this book at about 7pm last night and finished it about 4 hours later. All 400+ pages of it, for me it was a fast read. I loved it, such an intimate and accurate portrayal of addiction and the downward, out of control lifestyle that can follow.
I have an odd fascination with addiction, from drugs, to alcohol to stamps to work. It all intrigues me and this book did not let me down. It shocked me to realize what someone in Bree's situation would do in order to get her hands on crank (or the monster). It was a hard read, in my opinion, for someone that fits the young adult category (I'm thinking teenage), but I can understand it as a cautionary tale.
I don't normally enjoy writing styles like the one in this book, but the pace and plot kept me intrigued I could not put it down! I would recommend this book to anyone, but due to the subject, I would probably recommend it to people over the age of 18.
From what I understand there is a whole series that follows Bree along her daily addictions and struggles, so I will probably read the entire series.
If you enjoyed reading this book, you may also like Down and Out on Murder Mile by Tony O'Neill. I read it about a year ago and still remember it well. It portrays the daily lives of a couple addicted to drugs and what they will do to get their fix. It is also recommended to those 18+ due to the subject manner and language.

So how was my first book review? Any comments? Suggestions? I would appreciate the feedback! If you've read the book, let me know what you think? Although I left spoilers out in case someone that hasn't read it wants to.




3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm following back from www.adornonashoestring.com.

    Great review! I haven't read this book, but it sounds like I might enjoy it. I love the show Intervention.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    Chrystal
    www.adornonashoestring.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my fascination is in part due to intervention. My bf and I DVR it every week to watch together. If you do end up reading it, let me know if you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this because I love-Love to read and was thinking about doing some book reviews, myself.

    ReplyDelete